What is a sore throat?
A sore throat is a painful and irritated area in the throat that usually feels worse when you swallow.
It refers to pain, itchiness, or irritation of the throat. You may find difficulty in swallowing food and liquids, and the pain may get worse when you try to swallow. Throat pain is the primary symptom of a sore throat. However, other symptoms may include:
- Dry Throat
- Swollen glands in the neck
- White patches on the tonsils
A sore throat can affect the people of all ages, but the risk of a sore throat is higher in some people. This includes:
- People with allergies
How a sore throat treated?
The treatment for a sore throat depends on the cause. However, you can treat sore throats at home. This includes:
- Take warm salt water with garlic
- Drinking plenty of fluids
- Avoiding smoke and chemicals
- Avoid taking throat lozenges
- Reduce inflammation with ibuprofen or acetaminophen
If a bacterial infection causes your sore throat, it’s better to consult the doctor; your doctor will prescribe a course of antibiotics to kill the infectious organisms.
How to prevent a sore throat?
sore throat is more susceptible in the winter months, an irritating sore throat can strike at any time of the year. Sore throats are infectious, and there are certain steps that can help you to prevent from future infection. Washing your hands repeatedly throughout the day kills bacteria and germs that can cause bacterial infections.
Additional steps you can take to prevent a sore throat include the following:
- Don’t share utensils with others
- Use hand sanitizers whenever water was not available
- Limit contact with commonly touched surfaces
- Reduce exposure to allergens, such as dust etc
- Avoid smoking
- Keep a humidifier in your house to eliminate dryness